What do we do about coal?
Governments and industry promote coal mining, combustion and export.
- 80% of our electricity comes from coal
- Coal mining and export make large profits
In Sustainable Communities SA we give attention to the implications of coal and confront the question – What do we do?
- We use as little energy as possible
- We use renewable energy
- We use banks which do not invest in the coal industry
- Coal is a causative factor in heart and lung disease; asthma; stroke; reduced life expectancy; mercury and other heavy metal accumulation and poisoning; accidental death and injury
- Coal mining depletes and may poison water sources
- Coal is a leading factor in carbon emissions, climate change and consequent death and destruction
(information sources: contact Ray Mylius firstname.lastname@example.org)